Household Hazardous Materials - Wisconsin & Illinois Residents

Out of State Resident Procedure

The Agency accepts Household Hazardous Materials (HHM) at their Regional Collection Center. Out of state residents must pay a fee to drop off HHM because unlike Iowa residents, the Agency does not receive reimbursement from Wisconsin or Illinois to offset the cost of processing and properly disposing of these materials. 

Out of state residents must complete the Out of State Registration Form and submit it to . Once staff has reviewed the form, they will contact the resident to set up and appointment. Out of state residents can not use the online scheduling system for HHM. 

Test Your Sorting Skills

Ready, Set, Sort

Accepted / Not Accepted Household Items

Acceptable Items

Items accepted include:

  • Household cleaners include toilet bowl, oven, rug/carpet, drain and ammonia-based cleaners
  • Weed & feed fertilizers
  • Herbicides such as Round-up and 2-4-D
  • Pesticides such as roach and ant sprays, mole killer, mouse poisons, and flying insect sprays
  • Other common lawn and garden products 
  • Brake and transmission fluids
  • Carburetor and engine cleaners 
  • Oil Base waxes and polishes
  • Oil based paints, stains, and varnishes
  • Paint removers, thinners such as alcohol or acetone, 
  • Wiping oils such as Tung Oil
  • Used motor oil, oil filters, or antifreeze
  • Rechargeable Batteries
  • Compact Fluorescent Lights and Fluorescent Tubes
  • Water based, latex paints - if the label calls for a water cleanup it is a latex product and can be dried out and placed in the trash

Items Not Accepted

Items not accepted include:

  • Laundry detergents, soaps, cosmetics, and medications are not accepted
  • Farm Chemicals
  • Business Chemicals/Waste
  • Ammunition/Explosives
  • Diethyl Ether
  • Ether
  • Picric Acid