Special Event Recycling Units
Special Event Recycling units are available for loan for use at your special event. These are provided by the Dubuque Metropolitan Area Solid Waste Agency.
Benefits of Special Event Recycling Units
- Setting up the recycling system takes a fraction of the time it takes to distribute barrels.
- Easy storage, no loose parts to assemble.
- Secure Lock ensures bags won’t slip no matter how full.
- Clear bags allow for visible contamination to be dealt with quickly.
- Large capacity bags can easily be handled by one person with no heavy lifting.
- Reduces litter clean up after an event.
- Helps keep recyclable materials out of the environment, keeps event grounds clean and neat.
- Easier separation to recover five cent containers for cooperage.
Special Event Recycling Units are available free of charge for community events in Dubuque and Delaware counties through the DMASWA. These units help reduce recyclable waste at events such as conventions, county fairs, or community festivals. Bins are easy to assemble, have a capacity of 45 gallons, and are able to withstand most winds.
For reservation and set up information, contact the DMASWA Agency Administrator at 563-589-4250.
Best Recycling Management Practices at Community Events
- Train volunteers in setting up and taking down the systems.
- Set up frames and bags the day of the event to reduce theft.
- Require vendors to recycle their own cardboard.
- Advertise and promote as a “Recycling Expected” and “Litter-Free Event” through print and announcements.
- Train volunteers and/or private contractors to promote, educate, monitor and manage event recycling.
- ALWAYS place recycling units next to trash units.
- Continuously monitor container contamination and immediately remove trash from recycling units and vice versa.
- Report and celebrate results.
For more information on waste reduction ideas for special events, contact the DMASWA Solid Waste Education Office at 563-588-7933.