Regional Collection Center for Household Hazardous Materials
The DMASWA Regional Collection Center for Household Hazardous Materials (HHM) is located on Highway 20 approximately 2.5 miles west of the Northwest Arterial intersection.Customers can drop off materials any time on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. There is no charge for this service to Dubuque and Delaware county residents.
Street Address: 14501 Highway 20 West, Dubuque, IA 52002
Mailing Address: 925 Kerper Court, Dubuque, IA 52001
Why Should I be Concerned about HHM's?
Every day Iowans dispose of Household Hazardous Materials in landfills, drains and storm drains. Area waste streams contain hundreds of tons of these materials and are its most hazardous segment. When Household Hazardous Materials are disposed of improperly on the ground or even in a sanitary landfill, these products can leach directly or indirectly into our groundwater, potentially contaminating the water we drink.
What is Household Hazardous Material?
The term “household hazardous material”, refers to household products that possess one or more of the following characteristics:
- Combustible – capable of being easily set on fire.
- Corrosive – capable of burning or destroying living tissues and materials by chemical reaction.
- Reactive – capable of exploding when exposed to heat or extreme pressure: may react violently when exposed to incompatible substances.
- Toxic – able to cause severe injury or death when inhaled, ingested or absorbed through the skin.
How Can I Home Manage My HHMs?
As a consumer there are many things you can do to reduce the amount of Household Hazardous Materials that need to be disposed of each year.
- The first step is to purchase only the quantity of product you will need for a job, and use it up according to the manufacturer's label.
- Materials should always be kept in their original container.
- If you have a material that you cannot use up, give away, or safely manage at home, the product needs to be disposed of at a Regional Collection Center.
Regional Collection Center
Regional Collection Center for Household Hazardous Materials by appointment only call 563-589-1720. No charge for Dubuque and Delaware County households and farms.
- Please remain in vehicle at all times.
- Please arrive during operating hours and no smoking, please.
- Keep items in original containers and never mix materials together.
- Label containers that are unmarked.
- Glass containers should be packed to prevent breakage.
- Containers cannot be returned.
- Transport material separate from passengers and pets in vehicle, preferably in the trunk.
HHM Swap Shed:
The HHM Swap Shed is located at the Regional Collection Center. Residents are invited to take, at no charge, automotive, home improvement, paint-related, household, and lawn/garden products anytime on Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
DMASWA possesses a mobile trailer suitable for conducting small toxic cleanup events on site in Dubuque and Delaware County municipalities. To schedule an event in your area, call 563-557-8220. Local communities will be responsible for providing a site and volunteers to work with the RCC trained staff. Events are usually run spring and fall.
The Regional Collection Center offers services to Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG). These businesses can dispose of their HHM at a reasonable cost. For additional information, including pricing, click on the CESQG Documents link below under More information.
Regional Collection Center for
Household Hazardous Materials
Open April through October on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday,
7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Call 563-588-7933 to obtain copies or click to download PDF documents.